Thursday, February 24, 2011

A minute to breathe

So.  I got a job.  A supremely AWESOME job at that.  I now work as a birth assistant in post partum care at a birth center (2 actually) in Austin.  Is that not perfect for me?

Still adjusting to being a small town girl in the city.  Yesterday I got my first REAL taste of Austin traffic when I had a work meeting at the south center at 8:30 am.  It took me nearly two hours to get there!  They aren't kidding when they say Austin's traffic problem is the 3rd worst in the country.  But I still love this city like crazy and it definitely feels like home to me.  There is such a sense of community in the south, even in a large metropolitan area like Austin.  It's got that laid back southern charm combined with a very trendy and young population.

I don't miss Wisconsin at all.  I do miss our families and friends immensely.  There's never been a time when I couldn't just call my mom up and go over for dinner, or shopping.  At least 3 times a week she would stop over and bring the kids some treats and sit and chit chat.  I miss that.  I talk to my best friend from back home daily so that helps, but I really need to break out of my shell and make some friends here.  I just don't really know how to do that, I've never been great at putting myself out there.

Any ideas?

No comments: