Sunday, July 1, 2007

Breastfeeding and obesity

Did you see the news story that was out on CNN, MSNBC, Yahoo and the like a few days ago?

Breastfeeding may not cut childhood obesity. You can read the article here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070629/hl_nm/breastfed_obesity_dc

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. It seems they go back and forth and are pretty wishy washy as to what the study actually proved. To me it sounds like they are saying that good lifestyle choices are imperative whether you breastfeed or not, pretty much a no-brainer there. I wonder if it appears that breastfed babies are thinner because parents who choose to breastfeed (and you know, it IS a sacrifice sometimes) also make better choices in other areas? I know the formula feeding moms are going to flame me for that one........ so here's my disclaimer. I'm NOT saying that formula feeding moms don't make any good choices for thier children, i'm just wondering if the study being referenced is implying as much. Please don't fill my email box with hate mail

It does say that "The association did remain strong, however, for children who had been breastfed for six months or longer. They were 55 percent less likely than their non-breastfed peers to fall into the top tenth of the group based on body fat percentage."

Interesting. What's your take?

July 3- Blogger isn't showing my new post, BLAH!

No comments: