Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I hate butterflies

I know, who fears butterflies?  They are beautiful and free and don't bite.  


People find it hilarious that I'm terrified of butterflies.  I would jump out of a moving vehicle if there were a butterfly in it I'm certain.  They are absolutely and completely terrifying to me.


You see, butterflies, like my life are random.  You never think horrible things can happen to you in life.  They just happen to other people, and those people must be bad people and therefore karma is giving them a big old dose of whoop-ass.  Right?


But bad things do happen to good people.  A decently good person's (hey, I try) baby can die at 6 weeks old after surviving 23 hours open heart surgery in 8 days, after successfully getting off ECMO, after being thiiiis close to being off a ventilator.  A young pregnant girl's parents can be killed in a horrific car accident in the blink of an eye.  A young man's son can be torn from his arms for no other reason than that he is poor.  Horrible things happen to people like you and me.  There is no rhyme or reason, no predictability, no pattern.


Just like the butterfly who flies at random being pushed this way or that by the softest breeze.  It has no real direction and if it does, the powers that be can push it off course with little effort.  Where it lands we don't get to know.  It's unpredictable.  And that scares the crap out of me.

No comments: