Thursday, June 7, 2007

Michael Moore's "Sicko"

Obviousely I haven't seen the movie yet because it hasn't released yet. But I am very intrigued. Now, some of you may hate me because I actually have respect for Michael Moore. whether or not I agree with him 100% of the time (usually I do) I have respect for his determination to stand up for what he believes in at the expense of his reputation, freedom, and possibly life. There's something to be said for that.

If you are unaware, this movie coming out, entitled "Sicko" is about the state of healthcare in the United States. He says that healthcare should stop being a commercial endeavor and start just being a basic human right. I agree with that. He says that we need to take the profit out of pharmacuticals and medical care. I don't know if I agree with that. I think that even though healthcare should be a right, should be a given in this country, one of the superpowers of the world that there has to be some reward for hard work. I wish I could be confident that the drug and health researchers would do thier best solely for the satisfaction of saving human lives...... I can't. I think if we took the dollar out of thier pockets research would falter. If research falters cures and medications don't happen, if they don't happen we are worse off than when we started.

So, what could happen in this country to help fix our healthcare system? What can we do to shift the balance of power from insurance companies to ourselves and our doctors? Are you planning to see SICKO when it's released in June 29th?

Visit Micheal Moore's website and watch some of the clips, then come back and tell me what you think!
______________________________________________________________
Don't forget to vote for the cutest nursing photo 2 posts below!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who started out in research (now I am a "research advisor" for environmental conservation) I think that research would definitely continue!! The fact of the matter is that after you get your MA or PhD, and have spent tens of thousands of dollars in student loans... working for the "good guys" just doesn't cut it. If we could get the government to spend even a quarter of what private corporations spend, you would find a major waiting list of scientists dying to do what they got their degrees to do.

I totally support a universal healthcare system, and the US needs to wake up. It isn't even like we would be pioneers, we would be able to take direction from countries with a national healthcare system that WORKS.